Yea! I am now officially on summer break. Us teachers have such a unique schedule compared to other professions. I think we look forward to summer vacation more than the students do!
Each summer I always find myself figuring out a weekday routine. Me, have a routine? Never! I know you are all shocked (being facetious here), but I do love to have a routine to keep me moving and active throughout the day. Two days into my break, and I have at least my morning routine settled. Here's what it looks like:
I get up at 6 a.m. and take Moose for a walk. Next, I do my morning devotions while Moose snores at my feet (it's amazing how much a half hour walk zaps the energy out of my lazy dog). Then I walk on the treadmill for 30-45 min. and do pilates for 25 min. Finally, I work in the yard, if needed, until it gets too warm.
Let me get back to my devotional time. I tried to do my prayer and devotional time in the morning before school this year, and it generally worked, but I enjoy having all the time I need now that school is out. I have to admit, I am horrible at studying scripture. I find myself almost mindlessly reading bible verses as if it were a chore. However, the other day I stumbled across some advice on an old post on the Girltalk blog and vowed to give it a try during my summer devotional time.
First, I went to my wonderful and wise husband for advice. I asked him which book of the bible he thought it would be best for me to study, based on what he thought I might need right now. He suggested that I work through the book of James (which I haven't done much studying in anyway). Also, I asked him to help me find a good commentary to use for that book. Commentaries are good to have on hand while you are reading your bible. I find that while I can usually glean some practical applications from the portions of scripture I am reading, sometimes I don't interpret the verses correctly. Looking to a commentary allows me to double check my own thoughts as well as glean new insight into the scripture that I wouldn't have thought of on my own. So, now I am reading James and following along with Calvin's commentary on that book. Six verses into chapter 1 and I am already being so blessed by His word! I also read one Psalm from Spurgeon's Daily Treasury from the Psalms and spend time in prayer.
I'll keep you updated on what I am learning from the book of James, so stay tuned! Would anyone like to share what they do for their daily devotional time? I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it, as long as we spend some time with our Lord through prayer and His word.
Before You Decorate for Fall
1 week ago


No comments:
Post a Comment