Monday, August 11, 2008

The Line That Divides

Last Sunday afternoon our church group rented the city pool for a few hours. While Sadie sat in the shade chatting with friends, I was splashing around with the rest of the over-heated crew.
The city pool has a basketball hoop on one end and a few of us were shooting the water-proof ball around, taking turns missing our shots—but not caring too much. Then, someone suggests that we organize our rag-tag group into an actual water-basketball game. From somewhere in the group I hear the suggestion, “The old guys will take on these young punks.”

I looked around at the group of guys…It took me all but a second to realize that—for the first time ever—I was not one of the “young punks.” Yep, I’ve crossed the line so that when teams are drafted, I’m with the old guys!

It wasn’t just me who noticed, either. While watching the game from the sidelines, a friend of ours takes a look at the teams, leans over to Sadie, and says, “Hey, look…Must be the old guys against the young guys.” Everyone seemed to have a good laugh!

There is a happy ending, though…We old guys won our game by a pretty large margin. We probably outsmarted them (or perhaps just outweighed them…)

Tyson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How did you get a pic of that Streeter guy????? He looks just like that guy from the antique store! Dirty old man!
Love Mom