Thursday, June 5, 2008

Bakin', Not Wastin'!

**I want to start by apologizing to all who check our blog solely for baby updates. Now that I am home full time and sooo enjoying being a little (umm….big right now) homemaker, you’ll have to deal with the occasional homemakey blog entry. You’ll also have to excuse the corny blog title. I still have a lot of first grade teacher energy pent up!**

I recently went snooping through my pantry and freezer and found a couple of items that had not been used and seemed to be going to waste. First, I found an unopened bag of frozen carrots in my freezer. I honestly can’t remember buying the carrots. I’m sure I bought them with the intention of using them in a recipe that I never got around to cooking. Next, I found an open, but sparsely used, bag of coconut. I’m sure I used the coconut during the holiday season…but not since then. Anyway, since we’re trying to be better about not wasting, I set out to find a way to use up these items.

This also provided me with an opportunity to use a handy new tool Tyson bought for me- a cookbook computer program. This program has thousands of recipes, many from my very favorite cookbooks. I can type in what ingredients I have on hand, and it provides me with a list of recipes that match. I love it!

Last week I used up a portion of the frozen carrots in a vegetable soup I made. And yesterday I finished off the bag by making these yummy carrot cupcakes. Don’t they look good?

I also concocted my own icing using a large portion of the coconut I have on hand. Walla! A yummy treat, and so frugal too! I saved a few out and froze the rest, otherwise the two of us would have them eaten in a day or two. Now we have them on hand for sweet tooth emergencies (I am pregnant, after all!) or for when we have company.

3 comments:

Alaina said...

Thanks so much for stopping by and de-lurking! :)

Your carrot cupcakes look amazing - one of my favorite desserts! How exciting for you to be transitioning to being a SAHM and anticipating your new arrival!

Leo and Jill said...

Sadie, I tried posting earlier but it didn't work. Anyway, I am so glad that you posted your blog address. Congratulations on the baby. Girls are fun but very high maintence. (I have one)
I hope to see you at the reunion

Bryant Family said...

Jill! I am so glad you posted! Of course I remember you! Thanks for the congrats. I don't think I'll actually be attending the reunion, but I'll be in town that weekend, hanging around the square for the parade and such. I hope to see you then!