Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Thoughts from James

In a previous post I mentioned that I was studying the book of James....and I also mentioned that I would be sharing what I was learning through this study. Therefore, here is my first installment. As I mentioned before, I am studying the book of James using Calvin’s Commentary as a guide. I won’t post about everything the Lord has shown me as I’ve been reading through this book, but I’ll give you a few ‘peeks’ into what has spoken to me the most.

“Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.” James 1:2-3

Consider it joy when I’m faced with trials?! James must have been joking here, right? Wrong. We really are to face our trials with a ‘cheerful mind’. According to Calvin, trials are the tests of our obedience to God. The purpose of our trial is to humble our flesh and to produce fruit in our lives that we should value highly as Christians.

I know that I often view trials and afflictions as occasions to whine and complain, allowing myself to react in the flesh and missing the blessing. However, according to James I am to ‘consider it all joy’, knowing that Lord is using a particular trial to bring about fruit in my life. It is meant to form me, to sanctify me more to His likeness. Amen! How I long to be more like my Savior! So, the next time the Lord brings a trial into my life, I hope I will consider it all joy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.